Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chief Joseph

As promised, here are some pictures of Norman's Chief Joseph historical figure costume in progress.

He found a bunch of pictures online to use to identify Chief Joseph's unique look:




His conclusion: lots of necklaces, two long braids, a single feather or a full headdress (he chose a full headdress), and a trapper-style blanket.

Making bead necklaces (with help from Boo):



Norman helped select the materials, but I wound up doing most of the headdress assembly as this proved to be trickier than he or I had anticipated.




I crafted a long plaid "loincloth" and some strips for the bottom of his pants (to match what is seen in a couple of the pictures), and we also added mock beading to his moccasins using the same pattern as on the headdress.


Just need to add an old Hudson Bay blanket to use as a wrap, and the look is complete.

No comments: