Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Baby Hedgehog

A pet hedgehog is something that I've wanted for years. I've been in touch with a small-scale NC breeder since the spring, waiting for her next litters. Her first hedgehog had five babies in late September, which are all spoken for. Her second hedgehog had three babies on October 4th. Luckily we were at the top of the waiting list, as two of the babies died when they were about a week old. Otherwise we would have had to wait until spring or find another breeder. Here are some pictures of the little guy we'll be bringing home sometime in November. The breeder describes him as "sweet, laid back, and pretty chubby".






Simon seems a little skeptical, but the kids are overjoyed. We haven't agreed on a name yet, but I'm sure we'll come up with something suitable. Lucky and Spike have been floated around, but both seem like names for dogs, not hedgehogs.

No comments: