It has been a damp week here, so there are slugs out on the wall every morning as the kids head off to school. Even I'm starting to think they're pretty cool. Growing up, the slugs I saw were 1-2 inches long and a solid orangish color. Those must have been "northern" slugs, because the ones we see in our yard are longer and spotted/striped. Most are brownish, like in my
previous post, but yesterday the kids were excited to find a pink slug (their description). What made it really unique was
the hole. No, not in the brick wall, but in the slug. It had an obvious wound through its back which had healed but remained open, a bit like a body piercing. You can click on the photo for a larger version, but it still lacks the wow-factor of seeing it in 3-D.

I used to think that their tentacles were just feelers, but I've learned a lot online. Their eyes are on the tips of the upper/longer tentacles, while the lower/shorter tentacles are used for smelling. There was another "pink" slug out this morning, who must have seen something fascinating up ahead ...
No comments:
Post a Comment