Sunday, December 12, 2010

Flying Geese Crib Quilt

I've been working on a quilting project since mid-September, a baby gift for my neighbors. The pattern came from a Flying Geese "Quilt in a Day" book (hah - perhaps if you knew what you were doing and could devote an entire day to the task), which was pretty easy to follow.

The fabrics I used (aiming for baby and girl, but not too babyish or too girly):


The geese strips, both before and after adding the lattice strips (I was unsure of my sewing accuracy at first, but am pleased with how sharp the points turned out):


The finished quilt top (with border) in early November:


I decided not to tackle the actual quilting myself, so I sent the quilt top and backing to The Quilter's Station to be machine quilted. A close up of the pattern, called "Hearts in Bloom":


I trimmed off the excess fabric/batting and added a green binding. Front view of the finished quilt:


Back view of the finished quilt (I think all that pink gingham would be boring without the stripes):


A close up of the label, made for me by Quilted Lovelies:


I finished the hand-sewing this morning, and the kids and I delivered it this afternoon. It feels good to have my first quilt completed, though I'm sure it won't be my only quilt. Lea-Frances wants me to make a quilt for her; I have the pattern and fabric, now all I need is some free time.

No comments: