Thursday, October 7, 2010

NC Botanical Gardens

Lea-Frances' class took a field trip to the North Carolina Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill this morning, and I was one of the drivers. I've seen the sign, since I used to drive past it when I worked at the sleep study, but never visited before. We toured areas containing plants from the major habitats of the state: Mountain, Sandhills, and Coastal Plain. Here she is answering a question from our guide about the Mountain soil.


After the tour, there was a little time left to wander around. We checked out the area with carnivorous and aquatic plants. The kids were fascinated by the Venus Fly Traps, and wanted me to take a picture of this one with a Daddy Long Legs sticking out.


I loved this heron sculpture in with the aquatic plants. There was a special "Sculpture in the Garden" exhibit that it was part of.


I wish my yard was nicely landscaped, as there were some lovely pieces for sale. I'm pretty sure this steel birdhouse was in the Coastal Plain habitat ...


... as was this copper tortoise.


And on a grander (and far more expensive) scale, this "Oak Leaf Horizon Gate" that the class posed in front of at the start of our tour.


What a fun way to spend the morning!

No comments: