I used to have LOTS of t-shirts from all the races I ran back in the 90's when I was working on the west coast. Several years ago I tossed most of them, as my dresser was overflowing (yes, I had an entire dresser stuffed full of nothing but t-shirts). I saved my absolute favorites from the races I ran in San Diego and stashed them in a box in the attic, hoping to one day make them into a lap throw or wall hanging as my brother Warren had done with some of his race shirts. They might have stayed in that box forever if I hadn't seen
Too Cool T-shirt Quilts mentioned in a magazine. I've had their website bookmarked for almost a year, but only recently unearthed the box of t-shirts while clearing out space in the attic. I emailed Andrea, filled out the form, washed the shirts, mailed them, exchanged a few more emails (and mailed another shirt), then waited. About a week ago I received my finished lap throw (about 5' by 6'). It is fabulous! Makes me wish I'd saved
all my running shirts and had them turned into a quilt big enough for our king-sized bed.

Each block is quilted in a different pattern. My favorite is the "Carlsbad 5000" just to the right of center, as the quilting follows some of the design on the t-shirt. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in the photo below (click on it for a larger version).
No comments:
Post a Comment