Wednesday, June 4, 2008

pickle juice

Today was one of those days where I wished I worked in an office, at least momentarily. I went to get a drink out of the refrigerator at lunchtime, and found a dark-colored, vinegar-smelling liquid puddled under most of the beverage cans/bottles. And the package of hot dogs, yogurt pots, jar of pasta sauce, box of baking soda ... Turns out that a jar of pickled onions had tipped over at the back of the top shelf. Apparently the lid wasn't screwed on properly, so pickle juice spilled onto that shelf, and also ran down the back wall to the bottom shelf. It took me 15 minutes to take the affected items out, do a quick wipe down, and put everything back. Well, not quite everything, since I discovered some items with old expiration dates which I tossed -- corn tortillas (April), wheat germ (2007), and tahini (2003!).
Of course if I worked in an office, I'd have to contend with a refrigerator full of moldy food forgotten by others. And I'd probably come home to the same mess in our refrigerator, somehow unnoticed by my spouse during the day. If I put on my glass-half-full hat, not only did I have a zero minute commute today, but I also removed some not-fit-for-human-consumption food from the fridge.

No comments: