Sunday, November 29, 2009

Griffy Update

The vet wanted us to bring Griffy back in for bloodwork after three months, or sooner if he dropped another pound. Instead of bringing him to the vet once a month for a weigh-in, I used our postal scale at home. Tuesday was the two month mark, and he was down over a pound when I weighed him. Poor guy just isn't eating. The kids and I took him to the vet for a consultation and another round of bloodwork. Apparently one of the symptoms of renal failure is a sour stomach, so the vet suggested I give him an antacid (a quarter of a tablet of Pepcid) to see if that helps his appetite. And feed him yummy scrummy Fancy Feast instead of the kidney diet we'd been trying to get him to eat. After only a few days, he's definitely eating more.

The vet called yesterday with the bloodwork results. Of the two values associated with kidneys, one is worse, the other is virtually unchanged. He's anemic -- which might indicate a tumor, since it's the type of anemia caused by blood loss, not low production (the type usually associated with renal failure). And his potassium is low, another symptom. Whew! More medical information than you (or I) really want. We will probably try giving him a potassium supplement that the vet has, but there's really not much else that can be done. Alas, I think Griffy's time left can be measured in months at this point, not years. Hopefully his appetite will continue to improve and he'll last at least through the Holidays. I'm giving him lots of love, but starting to say my goodbyes.

We took pictures of the kids with the cats today, hoping to snap a good one with Griffy. This was challenging because he usually hides under the bed when Boo is around. She's just too loud and rambunctious for him. Here are a few of the best shots:




No comments: