Norman is home from school for the second day in a row. Fortunately he's not seriously ill, just a low-grade fever, occasional headache, slight cough, congestion, and lack of appetite. I'd write it off as a cold, except there are a lot of sick kids at his school (the third grade especially, with almost a quarter of the kids absent yesterday), and several are confirmed as having H1N1. Wake County (the next county over) just launched a
flu website which states that the seasonal flu hasn't arrived in Wake County yet this season, so any diagnosed flu would be H1N1. I assume the same is true of Durham County. Ugh!
I'm keeping a close eye on him, but it doesn't seem a trip to the doctor is warranted unless his condition worsens. For now it's just lots of fluids and TV time. So far Boo seems fine, but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time until she (and I, and probably Simon too) fall ill. There's a chance we just might drag this out for a couple of weeks as a family. Double Ugh!

This nifty image of the H1N1 influenza virus was taken in the CDC Influenza Laboratory.
No comments:
Post a Comment