Friday, April 8, 2011

Colonial Day

The second graders were supposed to dress up in Colonial times clothing today. Suggested attire for girls included: long skirt or dress, blouse, shawl, and bonnet.  The long skirt was easy, since everything of mine is long on Boo. I even found a grey one that I don't like because the fabric is heavy and drapes funny (thus I won't be upset if it gets damaged) -- perfect! I was Crafty Mama for a couple of nights working on the rest.
I had a 7/8 yard remnant of muslin-like fabric in my stash, which had only cost a few dollars.  I squared it up (saving the strip to make apron strings), and cut it in half diagonally.  One edge had fringing already, so I made that triangle into a shawl; I fringed the other edge, and added a row of blue "cross-stitching" with my sewing machine. I cut a rectangle out of the other triangle, gathered it a bit, and made apron strings from my long strips. I was feeling pretty satisfied, but Boo still wanted a hat.
With a quick search, I was able to find a pattern for a little girl pilgrim hat online. I contemplated buying some felt or even using posterboard, but discovered I could piece my two large triangular "scraps" into a 12x18 rectangle. I'm sure those thrifty Colonials would have done the same. A little starch and I was set to tackle the hat.
These pictures are from yesterday afternoon when Boo tried everything on for the first time. Super cheap, relatively easy, and (in my opinion) pretty darn cute:



Gotta love the red Gatorade mustache.

No comments: