Lea-Frances went to a Girl Scout event at Stagville this morning. It was once one of the largest plantations in the South. The house was originally just the portion on the left, with the two-story addition added in 1799.
We learned about the Bennehan family that lived there, and what life would have been like for them and their slaves. We also learned about artifacts and other ways that life in the past is studied.
The girls made ball-and-cup games, similar to those that children might have played with 200 years ago.
Here is one of the slave houses, where several families would have lived (this is an upgraded building as it had a raised floor and a roof instead of dirt and straw).
The girls also made cornhusk dolls, similar to those the slave children might have played with.
I couldn't resist taking a picture of this quilt, which was on a bed in the slave house. It's a reproduction, but I love the fabrics and the pattern. I may try making blocks like these sometime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment