Sunday, February 6, 2011

Block-A-Palooza - post 1

The Bloggers' Block-A-Palooza is a quilt-along that jumps from blog to blog, featuring two original blocks per week. The participating bloggers were asked to design a 12" block featuring a nine-patch or flying geese motif. It started on January 24th, so four blocks had already been presented by the time I started this weekend.  I'd been waiting for my fabric to arrive, as I'd ordered the same fabric they're showcasing.

Quilt Dad

I'm a very slow quilter, partly because I'm a beginner and partly because I don't have a dedicated sewing area. I succeeded in getting the first four blocks cut, and two of them sewn. Since my first quilt was flying geese, I thought this would be a fairly straightforward project for me. That pattern used a special template, and produced geese with perfect points. I've now made geese two other ways, and wasn't nearly as accurate with either. Block #1 has nice points, but the geese units were just a tad too small. The size of my geese in block #3 were correct, but the proportions were off so most points were truncated. Sigh. Neither block is perfect, but I think they both look okay. Two down, 14 to go!

Block #1 (Flying Over Fields):


Block #3 (Shoofly Geese):

No comments: